Luibeg Footbridge - colloquially Luibeg fit-brig - is the footbridge over Laoigh Beag at Preas nam Meàrlach.
Luibeg Footbridge stands about a half-mile upstream from where the track between Gleann Laoigh Beag and Gleann Dhé fords Laoigh Beag.
There has 'always' been a footbridge over Laoigh Beag at Preas nam Meàrlach ; maintained by the estate for use by estate employees.
By 1866 when the area was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey, a footbridge already existed over Laoigh Beag, and is shown on the old 6-inch map (1869). The old 6-inch map (1869) shows the footbridge at the upper end of the gravel and sand deposited by the Muckle Spate of 1829.
Photographs of this 'original' wooden footbridge show a simple wooden bridge ; two tree trunks held together by cross-wise planks about a foot and a half long. An advantage of this 'original' wooden footbridge is that when washed away by floods it would float downstream, perhaps not even very far, and be easy to recover and replace.
In 1948 the 'original' wooden footbridge was replaced when the Cairngorm Club funded, and build the first metal footbridge as a memorial to a former president of the club James Parker. Photographs of this footbridge show that it was built on the downstream side of the 'original' wooden footbridge on abutments of local stone about 6-feet high.
In 1956 an August storm resulted in a flood that undermined the footbridge without destroying its structure. The force of this flood is hard to imagine even when you know that one of the abutments was washed downstream about 500 ft.
In 1957 the bridge was repaired and moved to its current location.