An Coire Ruadh
An Coire Ruadh is a corrie between Am Bràigh Riabhach, and Sròn na Lairige overlooking Allt na Làirige Dhrù.
An Coire Ruadh is a corrie with two names - it was the people of Mar Forest who called it An Coire Ruadh and the people of Rothiemurchus Forest called it Coire na Làirige.
As a place name An Coire Ruadh – means the red corrie.
As a place name Coire na Làirige – means corrie of the pass.
This shallow, grassy corrie lies below the belach connecting Am Bràigh Riabhach, and Sròn na Lairige. The Duke’s Path, a made-path through the corrie roughly follows the course of the burn draining the corrie, zig-zaging through the head of the corrie. The path's name commemorates the Duke of Fife who owned Mar Forest until his death in 1912.
In Gordon (1925) – the author refers to the path – writing :
Up Coire Ruadh a stalking path leads. It is (1925) some thirty years since the late Duke of Fife constructed it, but as the corrie is one of the most outlying of all in the wide Forest of Mar the path has scarcely been used since the day it was made and is now difficult to follow, except near the top of the corrie
– Gordon (1925) (p108)
The Duke's Path is only shown on the 1:25 000 scale maps.